Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmogul

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2003
US
When I boot windows xp, the windows logo appears with the "dots" cycling across the middle of the screen -- and it never progresses beyond that stage.

I can boot up in safe mode. From safe mode I tried using a restore point to set the computer to an earlier time when it was working. This had no effect.

I also looked at the device manager and found nothing out of the ordinary.

I need suggestions on how to proceed.

You can get into SAFE MODE? That is half the money there...

look into the EVENT VIEWER (control panel) it should tell you error codes and other valuable information...

I am betting that it is hanging due to a driver malfunction...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Are the dots random colored all over?
This is a sign of bad ram

Have you tried 'last known good config' from the safe mode menu? When in safe mode, run msconfig and disable all startup programs. Reboot and if it loads, you've a process of elimination to go through (but I'd tend to agree with bigbadben - likely driver issue, which hopefully will appear in event log). I'd also run chkdsk C: /f from safe mode (to run on reboot).

You didn't say if you've added/removed any hardware/software (though system restore back before problem should have sorted something like that - did the restore complete successfully?)

ah! I should not have been in such a hurry reading your post.
your best bet is to run Chkdsk /r from the XP CD

do this and post if it found errors and what the errors are?

this is something you have to do first to get it out of the way in the troubleshooting process. this may take a long time to run so start it in the morning and go do what ever you want for the day. this is especially true if there are errors.

Thanks for all your responses. This is what has been done and the results:

1) firewolfrl: chkdsk /r was run. Message at end said: CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume -but no other detail specifying what the errors were. After this was run, I tried booting up and still have the same problem

2) firewolfrl: Dots on windows logon appear to be the standard blue - not random colors. (I would think if it was memory issues, I would also have problems in safe mode)

3) bigbadben: event viewer is not listing any events - my guess is the operating system is not loading far enough to even get the event viewer going. It only shows events when I start up in safe mode

4) wolluf : I tried last known good config - to no avail.

Latest update: I can no longer get into safe mode. It stops at driver agpcpq.sys -- don't know if that is significant. Makes me think that hard drive is failing.

Any thoughts appreciated

Have you tried getting into safe mode through misconfig?
Start==>Run, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks), click
OK. Then click onto BOOT.INI tab and 'check' /SAFEBOOT then OK and click Restart.Remember to uncheck after problem is solved

Can you still get into Recovery Console?

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Try the usual ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console.

Look at the FixMbr command, FixBoot command and Bootcfg command. If you have installed any drivers or software services prior to this problem look at the Disable command.

Your hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to thoroughly check the condition of your drive. This type of software is self bootable.

Some RAM testing programs may be worth running too.

HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP(Q305595)

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses

266745 - Error Message When You Run fixmbr Command

Last and not least.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Just endorsing Linney's last recommendation - probably your best chance now.

Unplug any added external hardware try starting again in safe mode does it get any further? if it gets to agpcpq then it is the next driver being loaded that is having the issue.

A repair install is a good idea my thought though is if you have another drive to Ghost it first, so that you can get any information off the drive before doing the repair install in case there is a hardware malfunction.

Linney - I tried the fixboot, fixmbr and bootcfg with no luck. So I decided to do the repair windows as you suggested. Things are working now so I think we are in good shape.

Still looking around and testing.

Thanks so much to all for your help.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back