Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP VPN not browsing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akusei

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
US
I have a VPN server setup on a Windows 2003 Server box and all other clients using Windows XP can login to the VPN and browse network shares just fine.

One client cannot browse the network shares. from this client, I can ping an IP address within the VPN and ping using the DNS name just fine. However, when I try to use "net use" or browse to "\\computername" I get "Error 53" and "Network path not found", respectively. The strange thing is that when this PC logs into the domain from the office and does not use the VPN it can browse the network just fine. Oh, and file sharing is turned on. Any ideas?

Come one, someone has to know something!?

Are the routers on both sides using the same subnet addresses?

If the Office side is using 192.168.x.x, try a different subnet like 10.0.x.x for the subnet addressing on the Home router.

I guess I could try this, however, every other computer that uses this VPN has no problems at all! In fact, the PC that is having this problem was working fine and then just quit working one day. I assume it has to be something that was installed, but I just can't seem to narrow it down. Any other ideas?

On the remote machine in TCP/IP properties Try pointing yours WINS to the remote WINS server.

I'm not using WINS, I'm using DNS

Nope, and yes I can ping the IP address and I can ping the pc name (ie. computer or computer.domain.com).

My concern is that the VPN endpoint is assigning an in-use IP. The DNS server should have reserved the assignments being handed out by the VPN endpoint server.

This would explain the works then suddenly one day stops phenomena.

Akusei - any joy on your problem? I have the exact smae issue. I can ping, I can even use Outlook to connect to our Exchange server (not using SMTP or POP), but I cannot map a drive. I tried the Kerberos change with no luck.

I saw an item on MS support that concerned SP4 with W2K which sounded exactly the same. Basically the TCP packets were too small, so they had a patch available. I have not found anything concerning XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back