Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP/Vista Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2002
GB
Hi guys, hope that someone will be able to help me out here with regards to licensing for Windows Vista.

I have a requirement to upgrade a small number of PC's at a small firm from XP Home to XP Professional. However, XP Pro upgrade licenses are becomming hard to get hold of (in the UK at least).

If I buy Vista Business Upgrade Licenses would this cover me to allow them to run XP Pro, using downgrade rights as you get with the OEM software installed on most business PC's these days?

Thanks!

=======================================
I got to the edge of sanity....then i fell off
======================================

Unfortunately Vista Licenses are not really interchangeable with XP licenses.

What you get when you buy a new PC is an additional XP license linked to The Vista one. But its not the Vista License itself that lets you run XP.

You'll need to get XP licenses if you Wish to run XP Pro. I'm sure f you call up Microsoft, they can sell you you the licenses minus the media. If you have an install media of the same type as the licenses then you can use that one with the new licenses to install XP.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thanks for the assistance. This is what I thought, but just wanted to double check.

I have sent an e-mail to the necessary people.

=======================================
I got to the edge of sanity....then i fell off
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back