Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Xp version for Dell's only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E3p0

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
Anyone know of this animal. I was told there is a version of XP that will only install on a Dell PC?
If so why? Never be afraid to ask for help!

Most of the big manufacturers (Compaq, Dell, etc.) have a "version" that will only install on their machines. The only real difference is in the setup program which checks hardware & bios plus they usually package a customized install routine.

bigicebear

True and not true. I say that because the major manufacturers have the ability (its small) to customize thier OS's to how they want them, to a point. If you have a copy of XP that will not install on anything but a dell it maybe because the CD is designed to look for a code on the hard drive of the dell system. The cab files, put on another system would probably work fine for an install. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Ah ha thanks for sheding some light on this for me folks! If anyone has tried or had experiences with this type of CD I am interested in your stories.

Thanks again
E Never be afraid to ask for help!

I was told by an HP rep that the code they look for is in the bios not on the HDD. So if you change Motherboards you will not be able to use your restore disk. I had an hp that the mobo went bad so I used an intel motherboard to replace it and my recovery cd no longer worked. The above is what I was told. HP Said when I changed the motherboard the computer was no longer considered an HP and the software lic. that came with my HP was not valid on the new system. That included the OS. What a rip off!!! I have to buy another copy of windows 98. I will never buy another computer from any major mfg again!!

You may be correct. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away when I worked in the Computer sales they used to put the code on the HDD. They may have changed it since then. The point is the same. you cannot getaway with using it on some thing else. That is what sucks. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back