Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Upgrade Slipstreamed With SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevsim

Instructor
Apr 18, 2000
AU
My copy of XP Professional is an upgrade version with SP2,I have now upgraded to SP3.

I wanted to do a repair install so I slipstreamed SP3 and my original disk, when repairing, when it reaches the section where I have to enter my CD Key, it will not accept my original CD Key, it tells me the key is invalid.

If I run the original disk when it reaches this point it will accept the key, then continues and continually asks for files it can not find and my total system is destroyed.

I reinstall the system from a ghost image I have.

I looked on the original CD and the Slipped CD under Unattend.txt and the product key is the same on both disks but not the same as my original product key on the package.
Would the key on the slipped disk be the product key I should be using.

I would appreciate any avise on how to complete a repair install.

kevsim

It's been a while since I've tried running a repair from an upgrade CD, but are you able to skip past the option to enter a Product Key during the repair? I know this is possible during a clean install but not sure if it is during a repair.

Found this from this link:
Do not enter your product key during Setup: I've heard from readers and have read separately online that there is a problem in some cases where Setup will not accept a valid Windows XP Product Key on an integrated XP with SP3 install. For this reason, you should choose not to enter the Product Key until after XP is installed.

If you are unable to skip past that prompt, then we'll need more info about the original SP2 CD. Was it retail or OEM? Is there a COA XP Product Key label on the PC?

Carl

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
a man's character, give him power.
" - Abraham Lincoln
[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Everything has to match in terms of the CDs, but service pack is usually not an issue.

OEM CD must match OEM install/key code
Retail CD must match retail install/key code
Home CD must match Home install/key code
Professional CD must match Professional install/key code

You can't mix and match any of them, so there are lots of possibilities for getting screwed up!!!

I thank you for the replies.
The CD came in a case and has the genuine Microsoft label.
On the inside of the case is a label with the product key.
It is an Academic edition.
I purchased it when I was doing further technical studies, due to the problems with Windows ME.

Label states Windows XP Professional.
Includes Service pack 2, version 2002.
I have no problems using it, except it corrupts my existing XP installation as it can not find files and I have to skip them as my installation has been upgraded to SP3.

When using the Slipped disk, I can not go past the key input window, I have tried reinserting the CD, escape, rerunning the disk from start nothing will allow me to go past that point.

I am going to try running this disk first up till when the key is accepted then change over disks and see what happens.

kevsim

I don't think that's going to work (changing CDs in midstream) and if it did, you may end of with mismatched files.

My best advice: backup data, reload from scratch with a CD that you have a matching COA for.

My prediction: You're going to waste more time with mismatched versions, chasing your tail. But good luck if you proceed. Let us know.

Kevsim,
I just want to verify...Did you copy the original Academic edition CD to the hard drive, slipstream SP3, then burnt it to CD? If so, there should be no reason the key wouldn't work since it worked back when you did the initial upgrade. Perhaps there is something wrong with the way the slipstreamed version was made.

Another idea came to mind. It could be asking for the Windows ME product key, since this is technically an upgrade disk. Not sure really, but it's worth a shot if that's labeled on the PC or contained in the retail packaging that came with the PC.

Carl

" - Abraham Lincoln

Thank you all for the info.
To answer a questions asked.

1/ My copy of XP Professional is an upgrade version with SP2,I have now upgraded to SP3.
I wanted to do a repair install --------.

I finally have it working, when slipped streamed the Volume Label and the SETUPP.ini file were different on the original CD, I changed the SP3 Setupp.ini and Volume Label to be the same as the original and burnt another disk, it then accepted the Key.

After accepting the key there were a few problems where it was looking for some .dl_ and .ex_ files and kept asking for the SP3 disk, I located the files on the slip disk but it would not accept them.
I opened and closed the tray a few times but still would not accept them.

I left the repair install running to completion, the computer rebooted got the the Windows log on and it said "Please Wait",
it stayed in this state for around an hour and when finally started and half the desktop had my normal desktop image and icons, the other half was black with the desktop icons.

Maybe the SP3 file I downloaded may have been faulty, will try again.

I remember when one of my friends installed SP3 he had some very strange things happen, it destroyed his system, he reinstalled the system and downloaded a fresh copy of SP3 and all was well.
kevsim

I'm troubled by your tale of "it was looking for some .dl_ and .ex_ files and kept asking for the SP3 disk, I located the files on the slip disk but it would not accept them."

I guess you can roll with it, but to me, it says some files were not copied over properly.

New Postgoombawaho,
Thank you for the comment.
I do not know why the files were not copied, I double checked the disk and they were there.
Should you know of any reason for this to happen it would be appreciated.

Upon completion Internet Explorer and Outlook Express were missing.

kevsim

The reason is that you have an incomplete or a mismatched CD vs. the O.S. already installed.

If you're missing IE and OE, ouch. That spells an unstable system for me, but roll with it and see how it goes.

goombawaho,
Thanks for the reply.
The Xp was installed from the same disk as used for the slipstream.
The XP, SP3 undate was done with the files which were used to slipstream.
The result should have been the slipstream should have matched the operating system installed.

After using a ghost image I restored my operating system and rerun SP3, there was not a problem, why should it be different when attempting a repair install from the slipstream disk?

The result should been the same as these are the same files that were used for slipstreaming.

I would appreciate any further advise.
kevsim

Kevsim,
There are a lot of different methods out there that suggest how to slipstream SP3. So we have yet to hear exactly how you did it. At this point, it seems like there is something wrong with the CD itself.

I suggest you make a new CD and try again. Make the CD using nLite and following the directions at one of the sites below:

Carl

" - Abraham Lincoln

I don't think making a new CD would help at this point BECAUSE he's trying to do a repair install, so he would need a specific CD to be created. Which one/what was on it is kind of the mystery here.

goomba,
Unless I misread, it appears that Kevsim took the original SP2 upgrade disk that he installed XP from, copied it to the hard drive and slipstreamed SP3 using "some" method. If that's true, then he has the right version but may not have slipstreamed SP3 successfully. That's my take anyway.

I'm kind of confused after following the whole thing, so I just don't know. I don't know what I would do at this point except start plans for a reload as I would have grown tired of trying by this time.

I would be thinking the same thing at this point to be honest. Plus there's the other benefits you get from a clean install.

I would agree...

but, what is overlooked here...

the OP probably burned the MEDIA at a too fast a rate for him to have a GOOD burn... when burning a install XP CD, it should be at a very slow, if not THE slowest, rate (speed) possible...

I've seen that exact problem before, though I just now noticed it... guess I am getting old...

here is a good explaination:

Why does the speed at which you burn a CD make a difference?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I thank you all for the advise.
I did a slipstream again using the method as described on everything worked OK except I found on the slipped streamed version that the Volume Label and the SETUPP.ini file were different on the original CD.

I changed this on the SP3 files and burnt again, it would now accept the Key.
All burns were done at the slowest speed.

I still had the same problems where it says some files were not there, I checked the disk and they were defiantly there.

I downloaded SP3 again and then made another slipstream using "nLite" and it work without a problem, the result same problem saying it could not find files.

I have scanned with MalwareBytes in case of an attack, it found nothing.
I have double checked both DVD drive and they do not have a problem.

I would appreciate any more advise.
kevsim

defiantly
wow, talking about software biting back... ;-)

the errors you are getting can be attributed to two problems, one is burn errors and the other being memory errors...

let me ask you this, at what SPEED did you burn the CD?

also check if the RAM is in working order... download a copy of UBCD, burn it to a CD and boot from it, then run a memory test (my suggestion would be MEMTEST86+)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back