Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows XP takes forever to find networked computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbybobbertson

Programmer
Nov 9, 2001
US
I have a network with 3 computers. Two are win2k and the other is XP. The win2k machines have no problems finding eachother on the network. They don't see the XP machine, unless I specifically search for them. In other words, the XP machine does not show up in the "computers near me" of the "My network Places".

The XP machine doesn't find any of the other computers, unless I specifically search for them. And when I do search, it takes around 45 seconds for XP to find the machine.

Anyone know why XP and 2K are struggling to find eachother?

All my computers are on the same network submask: 192.168.0.*
They are all in the same workgroup: ITLAB

check that you have the same network protocols on all the computers.

I have a very similar problem...

Win XP Pro is slow looking at W2000 machines

W2000 can find other W2000 machines very fast

Same network same protocols high speed cards....

Are there differences inthe Protocols ????

There are no differences on the protocols, but if you are running TCP/IP systems are going to follow a patterns on finding network resources: Host File -> WINS -> DNS -> LMHOSTS -> Broadcasting, (I think for a H-node Hybrid, if I remember right). If you don't have WINS on your network and have limited number of resources, using static IP addressing, you can use HOST file to accelerate you connection. Another thing if you work on local resources, you can enable NetBEUI

micorosoft windows has discontinued support for the netBeui protocol, but you can install it by doing the following:

1. open the following folder in the windows xp cd:
ValueAdd\Msft\Net\Netbeui
2. copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ directory.
3. copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\ directory.
4. open network connection properties and click the "Install..." button to add the NetBEUI protocol.

but does anyone know if there is a similar way of installing the AppleTalk protocol?

Hosts file is the answer. I was having the same slow problem until I put host files on each computer and now they find each other like expected.

Actually my problem was that there was a Linux Server on the network that was running Samba (I forgot that was there). Samba was trying to be the DMB and so was WinXP. I used linux's nmblookup and saw that there were two DMB. They must have been confusing eachother.

Glad you found an answer. I was about to say that it's a myth that WinXP has problems with Win2K workstation pc's. The LAN we're running has a dozen XP workstations and several hundred 2K pc's. On my home LAN workgroup, I have just one 2K and one XP machine. There are no problems seeing each other in either environment.

Those that have problems are quick to assume that it's a conflict between the two OS's. Both OS's are nearly identical in terms of network components used. Remember, XP is an NT kernel system, just a slightly newer version. In most cases, the problem is with the DHCP server, Domain server, or other network settings that haven't been tweaked right.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back