Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pll7538

MIS
May 2, 2001
US
I have a couple of users who have installed SP2. Since installing it they get the following message when they try to create or view an email:
"A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook".
I ran a virus scan, Spybot and The Cleaner. None of them turned up anything. I even checked Microsoft but found no reference to this message on their site.

If anyone has run across this and knows how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks for the information. However, that article points to Outlook 2000 and these users are running Outlook 2002. I still haven't had too much luck. I have been poking around the Internet but most all of the info I find states that the problem could be virus related. I have even run Pest Patrol and Adaware on one of the computers and it did not turn up anything. It's like every way I turn is a dead end.

I have seen this many times. It's the firewall with the sp2 that does that only to warn you of it. That s all.Don t worry about it...you cannot disable it unless you uninstall sp2.

have a great day

thanks,
Josée Parent

Communication is the key to success...[thumbsup2]

(photo gallery)

I think you CAN disable it - either the firewall or the messages. Open your Control Panel and go to the Security Center (or pick "Windows Firewall" in classic view). At the bottom of the page, you can "manage security settings for.." and pick the firewall. Go to the Exceptions tab and remove the checkmark from the box "Display notification when......" Or, on the General tab, turn it off.

If you all ready use a firewall (like Zone Alarm) you do not need the windows version.

I don't think it's XP's SP2; more likely it's Office 2002 SP3 that's the culprit. Are these users running any of the add-ins listed here (Spamnet maybe)?

Thanks for all the info. I will give it a shot.

I know for a fact after Installing Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional or Standard on a computer with Microsoft Outlook 2002/XP, we got this error message every time.

Also, if a computer had a Palm PDA w/Microsoft Active Sync, it causes the same error as well.

Installed SP2 on an OEM XP Home system. All seemed to go well. Went out to Windows Update and it wants to start out loading SP1, followed by 38 other critical updates. What's happening here?

Nothing that seems out of the ordinary, what did you expect?

LyMc,

Check the SP2 logfile (svcpack.log also the Setupapi.log ) to see if there were any problems during your installation.

Make sure you were getting your updates from the new v5 and not the older v4 Windows Update site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back