Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIndows XP SP2 causes McAfee e-Policy Agent to fail to update 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaucerGraham

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2004
GB
I have recently tested a computer with XP SP2 Rc1 and since the upgrade the computer cannot update VirusScan Enterprise 7.0.0. The Agent is installed and running and is able to enforce policy but will not update. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and of course simply rebooting but cannot resolve the issue. I have only tested one computer so far.

The error I get is a VirusScan AutoUpdate Properties - AutoUpdate box with the message Failed to initialize Common Updater subsystem. Make sure the McAfee Framework Service is running.

Of course it is running and there are no errors record in the NAI error log or the NT Event log.

Failed to initialize Common Updater subsystem

I got this error on MANY client-PC's when we were running ePolicy with the BAD Service Pack 2 ... after the upgrade to Service Pack 2a this error was gone!

I didnt realise that there is Service Pack 2 or 2a for XP. I have checked the MS site and cant see it anywhere!

Also is this problem just isolated to 7.0? Or is it with 7.1 as well?

Yes this issue affects VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 as well as 7.0.
The latest release of the service pack does fix this problem.
It is even specifically noted in the service pack information.

When McAfee VirusScan Enterprise software version 7.1.0 is updating I get this error message on 2 Windows NT 4 boxes ???

"VirusScan AutoUpdate Properties - AutoUpdate
Failed to initialize Common Updater subsystem"

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but error came back - this is on NT4 boxes only other Win2K and XP are fine, any idea's ????

Exactly the same problem here with service pack 2.
As soon as it was installed the 'Failed to initialize Common Updater subsystem' appeared on VirusScan Enteprise 7.1

I didn't realise there was a Sp2a though, will try that out.

I believe there is some Service Pack confusion occuring.

Windows XP's new SP2 is not yet available for general release.

EPO SP 3.0.2a is available from NAI/McAfee. It includes a new build (257) of the EPO agent. If you are going to add this SP, you should also add McAfee's Hot Fix #4 which helped clear up FTP replication problems we were experiencing.

This is resolved in CMA 3.1.2 Patch 2 or higher. This is also resolved in Windows XP SP2 RC2 or higher.

I'm Running Service Pack 2 / 5.1.2600.
I just noted this problem, and tried several fixes...any new ideas? (Running McAfee 7.1)

Upgrade to 8.0i

AVChap

“I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once.
I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work.
When I have eliminated the ways that will not work,
I will find the way that will work.”
--Thomas Edison

That didn't fix it either. I had to copy a registery key from another XP2 laptop, and that fixed it.

There are several patches available from McAfee. Try donwloading them from You'll need to be registered with the site to be able to download the file(s).

AVChap

“I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once.
I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work.
When I have eliminated the ways that will not work,
I will find the way that will work.”
--Thomas Edison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back