Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP SP1 update to SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleanair4me

Technical User
May 16, 2008
I have Windows XP with SP 1 on my Dell Dimension 2350.
Can I get Windows XP SP 2 for free or do I have to buy it?

Can I update SP1 with SP2 install?

Service Packs are always free, they are just like any other Windows Update, only much, much, larger.

Windows Update should be offering you a cut down version (quite adequate) if you have it turned on.

With SP1 you could jump straight to SP3 and bypass SP2.

SP2 download

SP3 download
Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Your friendly computer shop, or other friends, might have it already downloaded and saved to CD, you could ask around.

Just some advice. If it is one of the XP original disks from 2002 you may wish to download SP2/3 from a mirror as the MS Update website will probabbly crash. Has been my experiance. Softpedia does it.

And burn both of them to CD. You will likely need one of them again and who knows if it will be available when you need it.

You may also wnat to get a burned copy of the XP off the machine if you don't have an original CD. Reinstallation doesn't work with the later XPs and the key provided with the SP1 version.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back