Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS XP SLOOOWWW TO START--HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonnier

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2001
US
I upgraded a Dell 933mhz with 256k RAM from Windows NT 4.0 to Window XP pro about 3 weeks ago and now it is really slow to get started. I have upgraded 4 machines in our office recently to XP Pro without any slow startup problems. Here is what it does:
When I start the machine(or restart) the Windows XP splash screen appears as normal and then I get what looks like a blue screen without any writing. It then takes almost 5 minutes to get to the next small window that says Windows is Starting and this goes for almost 3 minutes. Then I get the login screen(ctl+alt+delete) to enter a password and when I enter the password it goes back to the blue screen with no writing and takes almost 4 minutes to finally load the personal setting and get a normal desktop. The system runs fine after it starts, it just takes forever to get it started. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

In the Bios power options. Is the Boot se to full boot?
If so change it to qick boot.

Perhaps this machine will benefit from a reformat and clean install of XP and a fresh start. Maybe a check for a bios update too.

Other quick-and-easy ideas:

Have you checked the disk space on your system partition to make sure that the upgrade didn't squeeze up the free space for paging?
Have you run Disk Defragmenter to see if it finds any problems and/or makes any improvement?
Can you try a bit more memory in the box to see if that makes much of a difference?

A mainboard BIOS flash, as was suggested, could help and Bootvis is really quite handy too. Let us know how you're getting on!

I am going to try the Bootvis.exe as soon as I can get my boss off his machine to try it. I'll let everybody know if it worked. Thanks for the input.
Lonnie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back