Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP sharing ports problem -- HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

helenian

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Hi, anyone have any experience of Windows XP not liking a printer and scanner being linked(via paralell cable). My printer paralell goes into scanner and then scanner paralell cable into my tower unit. But whenever i go to use the scanner, the whole pc dies, as if the reset button has been pressed, windows then restarts. Its a brand new pc, but apart from this prob the pc is fine. I heard that XP doesn't like ports being shared between 2 things such as scanner and printer...is this correct. At the moment i have to disconnect scanner when not using it to be able to use the printer correctly.

Is there anything i can do to prevent this. I have downloaded the correct XP drivers for both scanner and printer. Its a UMAX 1220p scanner and Epson Colour 880. If worst comes to worst i can just connect printer and buy a USB scanner i guess, but just wondered if there was anything i could do...?

Ian.

What is the BIOS setting for the PArralle Port? ECP, ECP+EPP

i do not know what the bios setting is for my parallel port...what is this and how can i find out to let you know..? Would it be in the setup before windows starts up..?

Helinian...

Seems like the simplest way would be to buy a simple Data A/B switch. You plug your parallel cable from each unit (printer and scanner) into the switch and then 1 cable goes from the switch to your LPT1 port. Then, you just set the switch for A or B to use either the printer or the scanner. Very simple, and cheap.

I hope this helps.

Dales1

helenian, to enter the bios - just after booting the computer you should see something on the screen like 'Press del to enter setup' or some other particular key. Once you enter, what you're looking for will probably be under 'advanced cmos options' or 'integrated peripherals'. It may be called 'Parallel port mode' or something similar. Once you find it, press esc to exit without saving then post back with what you found. BTW, it's not just XP that sometimes doesn't like 'parallel pass-through ports', sometimes they just can't be made to work properly. You may need to use a switch as Dales1 said or if possible, you may need to connect the printer or scanner by USB.

ok thanks for all your help...i think i will purchase a switch for both parallel cables to run through all though i may be using my scanner more often now so i may opt to buy a new usb scanner and leave the printer as paralell....

Thanks again

Yeah, ya don't wann daisy chain stuff like that, especially parallel. There just isn't enough bandwidth for reliability.
Not too mention it probably freaks the hell outta Windows anyways. James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back