Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp search doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manthonyh

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
US
I click on the start button and then click on search and it locks up my windows. The search screen never pops up and It doesn't allow me to click on anything. If I click on the start button again it restores windows. My wife also has access to the computer so I logged into her screen and tried to do the search and it is functional. Can't figure this one out. Can anyone help?

Sounds like a corruption somewhere in your
user dat /registry .

Easy workaround.
E.g your login is "robert"
Make a new account e.g "RobertM".
Copy your "My Document" files from
C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\My Documents
to
C:\Documents and Settings\RobertM\My Documents

(dont delete the original account if there are more files
you want to copy , like mail/ie-favorites etc.)

SYAR

I downloaded ad-aware 6.0 and it found a heaping load of adware. But, to no avail. The search still isn't functioning at all. To reply too syar2003. There has to be another option! I am running 120+ gig hard drive that is 75% of max. If I was to tranfer all that data I would be here for a week. Thanks for the input though I appreciate it muchly.

Might try a Repair Install of XP, or go to the XP forum and ask them about it.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Other possible solutions: Have you downloaded all the critical updates, including SP1 from the Windows Update site?

If the search function ever worked you could try the System Restore.

I appreciated all the input I will try and do a repair. I will reply as soon as I find something out. Thanks again. Also, I tried the link that stagefright set up and that did not help. I have updates up to date, except the SP1. Will also download that as well. The search companion did work until just recently. Will try all the advice. Hopefully, one way or the other something works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back