Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP remote assistance issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2004
US
Hi, I have Windows XP all over the office. We have a W2K
server. I am trying to use the XP Remote Assistance, but
when I run it, as an admin account, it seems to load with
an hourglass showing for a second and then it disappeared
and nothing loads up on the screen. I do not receive any
error messages. Same thing happens if I try to run Help and Support from Start menu. The services for both are certainly start. My XP machince is 100% up to date with
all the patches. Can anyone help with my situation?

Please make sure that Remote assistnce is also enabled on all your machines ( that you want to remote connect), you should also make sure that you're an administrator on those machines. Add your domain username as an administrator on those machines.

I use it all the time and never experience problems.

Magnet

See if any of these help.

Look under WinXP Fixes for the following link.
"Fix Windows® XP Help"

826088 - If the Solicited Remote Assistance policy is disabled, you cannot offer assistance to a Novice computer

306496 - How to configure or disable Solicited Remote Assistance in Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Linney, I think you have the right idea. My computer is built from an image. Maybe the register link for Windows Help and Remote Assistance is broken or something. Unfortunately, the links you've provided didn't help. Any other ideas you can think of?

What happens if you click on HelpCtr.exe in the following location?

X:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries

How are you attempting to launch Remote Assistance, there are several ways of doing that?

The shortcut to Remote Assistance points to rcimlby.exe in System32, what happens when you click on that? Depending on what messenger type programs you run, or how you normally connect with Remote Assistance, that could be different on your machine. See if you can track that down to see what exe Remote Assistance is trying to launch.

Use search to check for Helpctr.exe (and rcimlby.exe) and see if you have any zero byte versions scattered throughout your machine.

Clean out the Prefetch folder in Windows.

Clean out the Temp folder in the username folder under the hidden Local Settings folder.

Run Disk Cleanup to clean out the other various Temp folders.

Hi, do you still have the problem, could you please create a shortcut on your desktop and put this link / file there:- Please no spaces, it's a 1 line command and that should be it. This is assuming that you have done what all have suggested, enabling the remote assistance etc. And like you were asked, how are you going about the remote assistnace? step by step?

hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm

Magnet

Magnetmart, Linney,

Thanks much for all your help and effort. I ran the checks and steps suggested by you both, but to no avail. There was no duplicate files for the helpctr.exe or rc file. And they weren't 0 bytes.

Last thing I did was I copied the HelpCtr folder from another workstation, in which the Remote Assistance /or Help and Support started up successfully, and pasted it onto my workstation and that resolved the problem. Now when I click on Help and Support on mine I get the Help and Support Center screen now, unlike before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back