Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP reinstallation - any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pVTbabra

Technical User
Oct 14, 2003
US
Are there any problems with reinstalling windows xp, im having trouble with files on my comp and would like to, dont really know how or if there arte any problems with it

PVT,

One of the things I would do before I re install XP to make sure all the OS files are correct is to go to run and type in sfc /scannow. This will verify all the xp protected files and make sure they are alright.

Malik

Apart from the obvious:
Backup/copy anything you want to keep (photo's, documents and music being the obvious)
Make sure you have ALL you drivers for things like:
Motherboard, Modem, graphics card, printers, scanners etc etc
Go into the bios (usually just press delete at first boot) set first boot device to CDrom)
Restart with XP OS disk in the CDrom drve, press when prompted "boot from CDrom"
F8 except
Repair is not recommended, go for a reformat, quick format NTFS is fine, then XP will auto setup, just follow it through.
Once into Windows install motherboard drivers first, then graphics/sound/modem etc etc
Martin
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back