Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP prompting for password after spyware deleted, help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgessler

Technical User
Aug 21, 2003
US
Hello,

I was attempting to fix my other computer. Internet explorer would start up and multiple windows would keep popping up and up, all come with a cannot find server error, must have been a virus, or some sort of adware stuff. You couldn't do anythgin with internet explorer, was going too crazy.

I brought Ad-aware to the computer, and scanned everything, it found well over 150 infected components, or whatever they call it, and there were over 400 "objects" which I ended up deleting.

I remove these, and reboot the computer. It starts up and now asks for a password to login to windows xp for all accounts! Passwords were never set like this.

Anyone know what's going on, any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, I have tried that. Still has incorrect password. Any other ideas please??

Is this maybe a virus?

Dan

I had a problem with XP Pro always wanting me to type in my password even though I had remember password selected. I finally found a cure for that problem.

You can access this menu two ways. If you have the on-line icon in your task bar right click on it. In the menu that pops up select STATUS. In that menu click on the PROPERTIES button.

In that menu select the Options tab. Uncheck this item:

"Prompt for name and password, certificates, etc."

Once I unchecked that item in my XP Pro I no longer had to type in my password every time i wanted to log onto the internet.

I have DSL so the menus could be different for dial-up and cable systems.

The other way to get to those menu items is to open Control Panel. Select Network Connections.

In the network connections screen right click on the name of your internet connection. Select Status in the pop up menu. Click on the Properties button in that menu. Follow the above instructions as it is the same.

I realize you were asking about the log-on password - maybe there is a similar menu to uncheck so it won't keep asking you for a password.

John

1. You can use the free utility below to reset the Admin Password to 12345. Boot from the XP CD and when it prompts you to press F6 to install SCSI or RAID drivers stick in a floppy disk with the unzipped contents of this link. It will ask you which partitition, and then reset the Admin Password to 12345. After this you can cancel your installation of XP.

2. This utility creates a bootable floppy. Easier to use for most than the link mattwray has given earlier (free):
3. Knoppix Repair CD. (free) I use this myself:
4. Emergency Boot CD. Very good. (free):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back