Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Prof.: Problem with the Local Area Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

agilo

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
TR
Hi,

I do have a problem with the local area network, after starting windows, the driver looks correctly activated, but no connection with the outside world. What I did I deactivate manually the connection then I reboot windows and the enable the connection manually, only this way I have connection to the outside world. Some friends advised me to reinstall windows which I do not prefer.

Can any body help fixing this problem..

Thanks in advance....

Agilo

Check your services and make sure DHCP Client, DNS Client, and the rest of the network services are starting up properly when you start windows.

Thanks eroger,

They start properly, I get connection only when I disable the local area connection reboot my windows and then enable manually the service.

What type of Network are you connecting to, Ethernet or Wireless, whatever it is, have you checked for updated drivers for the Adapter or Network Card? Have you tried uninstalling your current driver and re-installing it?

Thanks Linney,

I am actually connected to an ethernet network, the drivers are being updated on time. Some friends said the only way is to reinstall Windows which I do not prefer.

How can I reinstall the driver alone?

yes you can, what is the make and model of your PC, also have you run all of the recent windows updates ?

You can go in to Device Manager and uninstall the Network Card Drivers, or roll back to the previous driver, or update any installed via Windows Updates (not recommended). You do this via expanding the Network Adapters listed in device Manager and a right-click on your Network Card to access the Properties and the Driver tabs.

Uninstalling a driver, then rebooting, causes Windows to search for drivers on your machine and to re-install them.

Updating drivers is best done via the manufacturer's site.

Thanks guys for your valuable help...Uninstalling, reboot and reinstall worked good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back