Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS XP PROBLEMS...did repair install..not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx76

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
CA
Hi...I hope that someone out there can help me with my XP problem.
My mom rebooted her computer because windows messenger said she was offline and she thought that a reboot would fix it. However, it booted into the boot options screen. She chose "Last known good configuration', but the computer booted back into the boot screen and she could not get any further. I then attempted to take her through the process of reinstalling windows XP over the phone, which she has to do by floppy disk since her cdrom does not want to read the burnt copy :-( of windows XP. Everything seemed to be going fine. During the setup, the only thing that we missed was configuring the internet settings. I told her to skip that step and that we could go back and do it later. (She uses Bell Sympatico DSL). She rebooted computer again, and this time, the windows XP wallpaper (hills and sky) came up, but no icons. It is not frozen, as the mouse still moves.
Please tell me if you have any suggestions...we are desperate and my mom is taking it out on me!!! (hahaha) Thanks.

Is there a recycle bin icon near the clock? Was mum originally using the classic view? Is there a start button?
Is her bios set to boot from CD? Clear up these points before we get too technical. Post back.

Hello. Thanks for your response.
Mum was NOT using classic view. She sees no start button, no icons, no clock, no recycle bin...NOTHING. Only the wallpaper can be seen.

Before we attempted to reinstall windows using the floppy, I took her into the BIOS and changed the option so that we could boot from the cdrom, but it would not read the cd. I assumed because it was a burnt copy of XP.

Hope this info helps.
Thanks
Sphinx

Burned copies of XP will boot fine from the CD. It might have something to do with how the cd was burned.

If she right-clicks does a menu come up? If not, reboot and push F8 (I'm not sure if that's the correct F key but I think it is) and choose Safe Mode. Check under Control Panel-->System-->Hardware-->Device Manager to see if anything is causing conflicts. If there are, try to figure out why (possibly driver conficts). Reboot the computer and see if it boots into windows without any problems.

If the computer is new, try using the system restore disks.

If there are no mission critical applications or files on the system reformat and reinstall XP fresh. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

when she boots up, tell her to try CTRL+ALT+DEL when she reaches the wallpaper stage. If she gets the lovely lil' box that we all know & love, tell her to choose Task Manager, and then Processes. look thru the list 4 explorer.exe If its there, stop it. If it isn't, or after you've stopped it, go to File > New Task(Run) and type in explorer.exe and see if it restarts the Windows Shell Scotsdude[bravo]
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!

Thanks for your replies!! They are all greatly appreciated...here's another question for you...is there a way that she can get me on remote assistance...and if so, can i install windows XP on her computer from my cd?

By the way...you are probably right in saying that there could be something wrong with THE WAY the cd was burnt..it was done by a novice so its a good possibility.

Thanks again.
Sphinx

I'm not sure how the Windows Remote Assistance works but I would think that Windows would have to be up and running for it to work. If you are trying to reinstall Windows I don't see how the Remote Assistance service would be able to run.

Here is another program you might want to look into if you want to do remote work on your mother's comuputer in the future:

and it's free! ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

You might have to reformat the drive and load XP clean with a new CD.

Even if you use the Setup Boot Disks it is still going to require the XP CD to complete installation. If it can't read it you wont get very far.

310994 - Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks.
Disks
"There are six Windows XP Setup boot floppy disks. These disks contain the files and drivers that are required to access the CD-ROM drive and begin the Setup process.
The Setup process starts. Insert the other floppy disks as you are prompted to do so. Note that you will need to use the Windows XP CD-ROM to finish Setup."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back