Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro with no SP only allows 130GB partition on install

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcquisitiveOne

Technical User
Nov 28, 2000
US
I have a 200GB hard drive and am attempting to install Windows XP Pro. When I run setup from the XP Pro Install CD the biggest partition I can make is 130GB (approx). I understand that XP Pro does not support drives larger than 130GB until SP1/SP2. My question is if I create the 130GB partition during the setup then install Windows XP on that partition, then install XP SP2 will my C:\ drive automatically change to a 200GB partition? Or will my C:\ drive stay 130GB and I will have an additional 70GB of unpartitioned space. In which case I may have to extend my 130GB partition to use the rest of the unpartitioned space. I only want one large 200GB partition if at all possible.

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

Usually the 200GB HDD's come with a installation CD that lets you format it and partition it. Format it with the CD then install XP. If it fails, try using the trial verison of partition magic.

============================
Hope this helps.

The BIOS shows the total drive size as 200GB, and the original version of XP Pro SP2 that was on it before I formatted it recoginized one whole 200GB partition. I'm sure its caused by the OS being XP Pro with no Service Pack. I just wanna know what will happen to my partition once I install SP2. Otherwise I'll have to use Parition Magic to extend the 130GB partition that Windows forced me to make.

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

Using PM to change a partition size after windows is installed is Dangerous. I have not had it actually work, ever. It always corrupted the drive, forcing a reinstall.
Get your partition the correct size first.
And yes, your problem is that version of XP.

"130GB ought to be enough for anybody". :)

After you install windows xp and add the sp2 it will still be 130gb. You will need to use pm or other tools to use the rest of the drive. I have used pm for years and never had any problems increasing or shrinking drives.

if I create the 130GB partition during the setup then install Windows XP on that partition, then install XP SP2 will my C:\ drive automatically change to a 200GB partition?"

No.

"Or will my C:\ drive stay 130GB and I will have an additional 70GB of unpartitioned space."

Yes.

331958 - Hard Disk May Become Corrupted When Entering Standby or Hibernation or When Writing a Memory Dump

303013 - How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP

Resize Partition, (try the free trial).
BootIt NG (Resize partitions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back