Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro: Unable to unset read-only attribute. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javie

MIS
May 16, 2003
US
Hi,

Somehow all folders and some files on my laptop got set as "Read-Only". I've tried unchecking the read-only attribute from each folder applying the change to subfolders as well, but when I check the folder properties back, it's still set as read-only. I logged-In as Administrator and applied the same procedures but still get the same problem. I don't know what else to do. I checked the Microsoft Knowledge Base but couldn't find a solution for this issue. It happens whether I am offline or on the network (Netware 5.1) including on folders on the network that are not read-only, my laptop sees them as if they were set as read-only.

Can someone help me solve this issue?

Thanks.
Javie

XP's properties always show a folder's read only properties checkbox as filled (this is not checked). If you look at the files within the folder, they are not marked as read-only. This is the way XP is. Are you having some problem that prompted you to ask this question?

Do you have restore turned on(default)? Certain files will be restored upon reboot to whatever condition they where in before rebooting. The only solution is to remove the checkmark, apply your changes, reboot, and restore the checkmark.
On a side note, some viruses can't be gotten rid of until this is done...(grr)....
You can find the system restore checkmark by right-clicking on my computer and going to properties. System restore is one of the tabs...

When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break....or go to alternative lab B.........anyone seen my mallet?

Have you read this yet?

read only attribute
thread779-477750

Smah: You are right! the folder is filled but the files in the folder are not. But, it's very confusing.. Why is it filled though? What does it mean?
I noticed this when I tried to open an HTML document from FrontPage and got a message stating that the file was Read-Only then when I checked the folder's properties I saw the read-only box filled and I thought it meant checked. Thanks for replying !

Thank you guys for your tips. I really appreciate it !

Javie.

Was the file stored on a network drive? There are a couple of issues that can cause this error on a network drive, especially with office apps.

also make sure you have admin rights.

"Did you ever wish a circle was a square, so when land sharks start circling the boarders you can just cut them off at the corners?" - Aesop Rock

That file was stored on my Home Directory drive which I have full rights to it. I also have full rights to everything else. It probably was locked at the time I opened it what threw me off was the fact that the folders had the read-only box filled which made me think it was checked as read-only.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back