Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp pro as a workstation to sco opensever 5.0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmando

Technical User
Jul 6, 2002
US
Our network has one server, which has sco openserver 5.0.5 as a operating system. We have 16 workstations which are all running win98. We have static ips and connect to the internet through a lanmodem (cable) with the gateway being the static ip of the router (192.168.0.25). The network works fine. The problem is we are replacing one of the win98 workstations with a xp pro workstation and the xp can't fing the network. We have set the static ip and related configureations the same as the win98 pc had. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The problem seems to be with the dns settings?

Check that you have NW Link components set up in Local Area Connections Properties on the PC in question.

Can you ping the xp station from the sco server?
This may sound strange, but I had a similar problem with an xp setup not long ago.
I was able to ping the xp from sco, but not vice versa. I rebooted the xp machine and it cleared up.
Someone in the forums suggested that my nics might be causing the problem, but to me that sounds like "xp doesn't like your nics, and is causing a problem". Incidently, the problem has never reoccured.

Scott

Thanks for the help. I am feeling a little foolish. It turned out to be the nic, however the xp pc connected fine to our nt network and that through me off.
Thanks again. This site has great info.
Catmando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back