Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP power down problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy1

Instructor
Dec 3, 2001
US
I have recently upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP and now I cannot turn off my computer by pressing the power button once I am prompted by Windows XP that "it is safe to turn off the computer." To turn the power off, I have to hold down the power button for a minimum of 5 seconds for the computer to power off.

How do I return to the automatic power down that I had with Windows ME?

I had the exact same problem when I installed Easy CD creator 5, it woouldn't power down, cured it by installing Roxio upgrades.
If it's not this then it will probably be unsigned software thats causing it! Martin

Martin, thanks for the reply. I am not using Easy CD creator 5, but have solved the problem as follows:

I went to Power Options in Conrol Panel, selected the APM tab and enabled Advanced Power Management. Now I can shut down automatically as I did before the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back