Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows xp NTFS or FAT 32? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthehunt

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
should i run NTFS or FAT32 file sysytem?

Ntfs is much better unless your doing a duel install with linux.

NO i am having some issues...something ate up all my hard drive space in matter of a few days and can't find problem..so i formatted a old drive as a friend walked me through on phone..original is NTFS new format is FAT 32..wondering what to do..if can't find problem..i am going to reformat main drive and start over

Well I have been supporting a network of 250+ systems for almost 3 years now and would not even think of running a system FAT32. NTFS has many great benefits - more stable faster with larger files - and the security features, in a corporate enviroment this is a must. If this is for your own personal system at home its up to you but honestly I think you would be shooting yourself in the foot in the long run. FAT32 is a legacy file system that M$ is trying to get away from for many good reasons. If you want good tools to access NTFS partiontions in times the OS crashes or other such issues look into the tool called BART PE - you can find it here - any tool you could ever need for NT systems can be intergrated with this.

Best of luck

On the issue of
onthehunt said:
something ate up all my hard drive space in matter of a few days and can't find problem.

1. Analyze disk space usage:

2. Do the Trend Micro and Panda online AV scan's from smah's FAQ: faq760-3862

3. Two programs that can create monster consuming .log and .bin files:

. Bootvis, if you do a trace operation, and do not complete the optomization step.

. PerfMon.exe, if you set up arbitrary custom counters to record system activity.

Thanks so bcastner!!!! You hit the nail on the head. i ran that diskdata link...and there it was... 1click copy dvd copy software trial i downloaded. I had removed it with add/remove programs...but when i ran that scan..there it was in applications data 13.5 gigs worth. i deleted it. installed it again to check it..and less than 10 minutes it ate my hard drive again copying one movie.. so i deleted it and ran diskdata again a got rid of it..

if it hadn't been for you..i was giving one more day to find problem and i was going to reformat my hard drive and start over....I CAN"T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!:):):)

by the way..i have run trendmicro...but every time i try panda..i ger some error installing...can't get it to run

Don't worry about Panda, as you have resolved the issue.
Glad you got it sorted.

Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back