Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Nortel Extranet VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldt

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
US
Have users running WIndows XP at home. When they connect to the company they are not getting the DNS information. So when they try and connect to anything once they VPN into the company they can not. If they use the IP address they are able to connect. Spoke with Nortel and was given the latest version 4.60_15. Did not fix the problem. Anyone having else experiencing this problmes?

I have been having this problem ever since I installed the
NOrtel VPN client on my XP/Home machine in Januaruy. I have spent hours on the phone with my company tech support with no answers. This usually occurs the first time that I attempt to access my company network using the VPN after a reboot. When it occurs, I am also blocked from accessing the internet until I shut down the VPN client.

The only way that I have found to get around the problem is to shut down the VPN, run the command "ipconfig /renew" from the DOs prompt and then restart the VPN. It usually takes several interations thru this process before the thing finally works and I can access both my company network via the VPN and the internet via my ISP.

Once it works, it generally continues to work until the next time that I have to reboot XP. Don't ask me why this works but it does..............but just not every time.

Just what I have seen on the net as a fix for the dns issue and that is to remove the Nortel IPSECSHM adapter from the device manager. I do all the VPN support for my company and generally this does not show up, I have one user complaining about dns issues and we are going to try this tommorow.

If this works, please let me know. I am still having the problem. Thanx.

4.65.18 was just put out...it is xp certified, and seems to work great with xp, no dns/wins issues.

- Xarufa -

Do you know where to download the latest version (4.65.18)? My company only has an earlier version that won't work with XP.

Thanks

If your company has a valid license with nortel you should be able to get it free from them.

This problem is still seen with this version in smaller numbers. I am working with Nortel on a drive mapping problem over Windows 2000. It was a problem with XP but has gone to a certain extent. What happens is, I connect with the Nortel client, 4_65.18, and I could browse the internet, but could not map any network drives from the company. That's on XP. Now, I can map network drives, but when I close the connection, I can't see any of my local network drives. On Windows 2000, I can never map any company network drives. I'm sending snif traces to Nortel and hope to have some information soon.

To get full validation with your network in windows 2000 or XP your PC needs to be added to the domain, this is a win2000 and xp issue. Win9x/me does not need to be added. If the pc in question is added to the domain, then you must have current cached creditials and you will be able to have full network functionality. For our users (especially home based) when they run into this issue, we have them log into windows using dial up, with their current username and password, then disconnect and connect to VPN and they are fine. They only have to do this once. Unless they call the helpdesk and have them reset the password or do it from another box then they run into the problem again.

a fix that i have found is to add the dns server ip address to the Name Server key in the following registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<adapter>

where <adapter name> is the ethernet adapter name listed when a ipconfig is issued at the command prompt.

for example my value is:

where the first ip address is the primary, and the second address is the secondary.

Another fix is to add a DNS combo to the network connection properties. Put the ISP (External) DNS server as the primary and the Network (Internal) as the secondary. Other way will work also.
This has popped up on just a few XP Home machines. Have worked with Nortel and this is the best fix they have as of now.

I have this problem as well. I use to go thru the gyrations of connecting/reconnecting and ipconfigs /renew and such. Now I just connect and if I don't get DNS info, I just walk away for five minutes (still connected) then come back and disconnect/reconnect and it works. It's still a pain that you have to jump thru hoops to get this mess to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back