Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP locking up on a newly built system

Status
Not open for further replies.

hixon69

Technical User
Jun 13, 2004
CA
Xp locks up everytime i try to use windows explorer either through my computer or through windows key + E. This is a fresh install with no other programs, i cant even get to the motherboard cd to install the chipset drivers. Its not the hard drive because i have tried with a diffrent harddrive and i get the same error the system locks up and i have to restart. I dont think that this is a heat problem because in the bios it says my cpu temp is 37 C. Help! Has anyone ever had this problem.

My specs are p4 2.8 800fsb
chaintech 9cjs 875 motherboard
512mb of Kingston hyper-x pc3700 dual channel
Radeon 9700pro
480watt antec true blue power supply
120 gig seagate

Remove all cards except the video card, reseat the video card and the RAM, disconnect all drives except the boot drive, make sure all connections are secure, nothing is overclocked, and only Default settings are used in BIOS.

If that does not help, then remove the computer's cover, and run an external fan.

If still no luck, then reinstall Windows.

after checking propper seating of cards and loading bios defaults, can you run other programms like taskmanager/compmgmt.msc/msinfo32.exe ?
did you check event viewer?
run a memtest and report back.

I can boot into safe mode and i can do anything i want but when im not in safemode windows locks every time i try to access the file system.

Uninstall your graphics drivers and reboot in standard vga mode.

Re-install graphics drivers - ensure they are correct ones

Signatures reduce bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back