Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP keeps renewing IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddamm

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2002
US
I have a Windows XP laptop using a wireless NIC. It acquires an IP address (DHCP). After about 10 seconds, it renews it. This is a constant loop. There is not an alternate IP configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You could have a mis-set TTL, time to live, value in your DHCP lease. Check the configuration on your DHCP server (router?) and look for the renewal time.

I had a similar problem with my DHCP server when I first configured it and everything would renew the leases every few minutes.

DHCP should renew at half he lease time - when you are issued the ip what does the expiry say on ipconfig /all ? If it's 20 secs than that's correct behavour!

The only other think is if the link keeps "micro-dropping" ie the card or the port sees a drop in the link layer it would renew. Look at switch diagnostics - possibly the link light on the lappy or the switch?? May be mismatch between port and laptop or dodgy cable?

The router was configured correctly. Lease time was 24 hours. I was able to get another computer on the wireless network. Ultimately, updating the driver for the wireless NIC resolved the problem. Thank you for your suggestions. They were helpful in troubleshooting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back