Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows Xp is unstable and just restarts every now and then

Status
Not open for further replies.

liable

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2002
I've loaded Windows XP Pro on my:
Asus CUV4X-C board
256 mb pc-133
40gb HD
rage pro iic
52x sony cd-rom

It had trouble loading skipping files, but it did eventually load. I got a replacement disc because microsoft thought it was the disc but it still did the same thing. So anyways it loaded. I checked the event viewer and i got event 4 an 5 errors of source ACPI. I looked them up and their bios errors. So I upgraded the Bios to rev1007, the newest one. still the same errors in event viewer. I did what M$ knowledge base said to try as far as Bios setting to no avail. I ran system file checker to make sure all the system files loaded properly and none were missed and nothing.

It starts up and runs properly for a while (few minutes sometimes few hours) but it is very unstable. It wont let me load the Win sp1 or it give me the windows encountered a error do you want to send to M$ speal. The error are usaully explorer errors. Nothing but Windows xp pro is loaded, no office apps, no virus software, nothing.

Any ideas or other places to look would be greatly appreciated.

Liable

I'd lean toward:

a. Bad memory? Can you borrow memory sticks from another machine (PC133 or PC100 of course) and try swapping for a test?

b. Driver somewhere? Try downloading new drivers for Video, motherboard resources (not talking BIOS here), Sound, Network.

HTH

Why not just reload XP!
You will find full info' on how to do it on "thread Duel boot XP With XP". All the information you will need to carry out the procedure. jonjontheMighty

Anything loading at Setup but "Skipping" files is bound to be unstable. If the CD's aren't faulty then the next thing to consider is the CD Drive itself.

The Event ID 4 and 5 Bios read or write errors probably relate to the manufacturer's design and probably can be ignored as a reason for Setup errors. It is not uncommon to have these errors constantly and have no adverse effects.

257954 - Random Files May Not Be Copied During Text-Mode Setup

Try setting your Bios back to its default setting.

Memtest86 is thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 architecture computers. BIOS based memory tests are only a quick check and often miss many of the failures that are detected by Memtest86.

I'd lean toward a hardware problem, since you had trouble even with the install. FWIW I ran XPHome several months before SP1 was available, with no such problems.

What errors are in the event viewer????

Ash.

The errors are 4 & 5 ACPI ASH. It would be nice if these errors had no effect on performance but it restarts on its own and gives me serious error occured errors. There is also nothing else in the event viewer that would lead me to look for something other than those errors. Gonna try memory tester and changing the memory all together.

Will get back to yah and thanks all,

Liable

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back