Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Xp Installation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpigskin

Technical User
Mar 15, 2003
US
I am trying to reinstall Xp Pro. During the process the computer will get thru the format process and start to copy files on to the drive. At different points in the process it will state the following message, "Cannot copy file from CD". I checked the cd and it is fine and tried a different one just to make sure. Replaced the Cd Drive, no go. I replaced the ram in the computer and the issue is still there. What do I try next? Is it a bad motherboard? What could it be? Has anyone else ever encountered this issue? Thanks for your help in advance

I have encountered this problem before, for my case I am trying to install XP into a new pc. I even try by taking out the RAM one by one, but unsuccessful. In the end, I ended up bringing the whole pc to the shop and the staff there changed the motherboard. Problems solved after changing motherboard.

This is usually caused by CRC errors which can be caused by a bad CD, bad CDROM drivem bad memory, an overclocked MOBO, and probably a dozen others.

Try changing your CDROM from UDMA mode to PIO mode in BIOS. The installation will be slower, but PIO mode does not test CRC. When you're done, be sure to return the CDROM drive to UDMA mode.

Where in the BIOS can I change that setting. Searching the BIOS I didnt find that option.

MY MOBO has a Phoenix/Award BIOS and VIA chipset so your BIOS options may be slightly different. In my BIOS I go to Integrated Peripherals and select VIA Onchip IDE Device, then Primary Master PIO (where my DVD burner is connected). For Primary Master UDMA I select Disabled (default is Enabled). For Primary Master PIO I select Mode 2. Choices are Auto, or 0 (slowest) thru 4 (fastest), where Auto is the default).

If this works to get XP installed, remember to return the BIOs to the original state when done. These setting slow a CDROM drive considerably.

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago, exact same symptoms, but with the help of this forum and its fine members the problem was resolved, the mother board had several bad capicitors. I replaced the motherboard and the problem was gone. Hope this helps.

xit

All the above could well work.

Two other thoughts:

Borrow another DVD drive and see what happens now, they are quite easy to swap in/out. Do NOT register windows XP with microsoft until you have a good drive that can stay in it's place (google XP WPA for why)

Follow this process with a friend with a DVD/CD writer which will allow you boot from CD and copy to/install XP from another HDD partition (must be on another partition to C) on the HDD having bulk copied all the files over thus also testing the DVD /Drive on the way.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back