Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

repairer

Vendor
Jan 10, 2002
Wonder if anyone can help me, I am trying to talk a customer on the phone (he's a fair distance away from me so its not possible to visit) through installing Novell client on Windows XP prof. I'm having no luck getting it to connect to the server, we know the network connection is OK as we tried another PC on it and it can see the Netware server OK and also his laptop that we are doing the install on can see computers in the workgroup, I looked thru other postings and it mentioned custom install and installing IP and IPX, we tried this with no joy. Every time we try to log in we get message saying cannot find tree or server, we are of course putting in server name and tree. One other thing is I have installed Novell client many times on Win95/98 but never on XP before, am I missing something? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

I take it that the customer is trying to connect to a NetWare 4.x server? Is IPX the default protocol for the Client to use?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

The customer is trying to connect to a Netware 4 server, but not sure what you mean regarding IPX being the default protocol? how would I check it? Looking at properties of the local area connection it as NWlink IPX, is that the required protocol?

Thanks

Pete

Sometimes you have to force the frame type rather than let it pick automatically. My apologies for not having this in a FAQ on tektips, but here is a step by step on my own website with screen shots on how to do this:

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Excellent Marvin, bloody excellent ..... have a star. If only the big companies were as good at documenting stuff ... wishful thinking me thinks!

"It's true, its damn true!"

Guys,

Thanks for all your help, went back thru install and did a custom install, for some reason it now connects to the server.

Thanks

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back