Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP: How do I start over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikermann

Instructor
Jan 22, 2002
US
Would like to clear Windows XP off my PC entirely and reload from my CD; how?

Thanks.

Backup your data (or else).
See if your computer came with a recovery partition that can be accessed via (usually) a function key (available BEFORE windows starts to boot) that invokes a complete reload / return to factory settings or whatever they call it. Even if they offer to back up your data, I'd do it separately.

If not, then you need to do a manual reload.
http://www.techhive.com/article/129977/article.html
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Might be well to re-evaluate. There are potential issues with installing Service Packs.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

>There are potential issues with installing Service Packs
Such as?

Availability of SP1 or SP2 in order to install SP3 and the update issues leading to the svchost slowdown.

Ed Fair

There is plenty of availability. The OP should be told that they should really stop using XP in the near future due to end of support. It will be a malware-fest by mid-summer, I reckon.

Hikermann,

Can you please give us a debrief of what solved your problem? If it was something that one of our Tek-Tipsters suggested, then please award them a Star.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Thanks all for your opinions and suggestions.

I simply upgraded my hard drive.

guitarzan said:
No need to install SP1
If you have XP (circa 2002) without SP1 you do need to install SP1 before you can install SP2. If you try to install SP2, it will tell you that you need to install SP1 first.

No need to install SP2. SP3 will install with SP1 or SP2.

Dave, did you ask for the debrief for your reload?

Ed Fair

How strange; I've never been asked to install SP1 before SP2. Nor is this noted in the SP2 system requirements. Most odd

Note, by the way, that it is possible to install SP3 without any previous SP at all - as long as you are comfortable with building a slipstreamed installation CD.

Only way to go, install disk with SP3, IE8 & WMP11 integrated (via nlite.) Been using that for years - some of my customers still want XP even on new machines. Also IMO, end of support will make no difference to xp users at all (and at least MS are now providing updates for Security Essentials for another year.) I think all the 'malware fest' comments are just the usual hysteria. Gullibility is main problem for users - and I think there are more scam phone support calls (we are Microsoft, there's something wrong with your computer, give use remote access and we'll fix it, that will be £150 please) than malware attacks in my neck of the woods (Leeds, UK) at least.

Only way to go
Not the only way to go, but it is the smart way and time is money/life.

I think all the 'malware fest' comments are just the usual hysteria.
I'll bet you £100 pretend that it will be a malware fest. Think of all the (bootleg) XP computers in China that will become malware/botnet hosts. I guess we shall see.

You've seen this?
Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back