Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Home will not allow login to activate

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitestone

Technical User
May 15, 2007
US
I am frustrated at the following problem I am having with a customer’s computer. I hope that someone out there has a solution other than a clean install of Windows.

The problem: The customer’s computer developed a bad motherboard (i.e. bad in the sense that the power supply shorted out and caused the power connector to melt to melt to it). We replaced the power supply, motherboard, CPU, and memory. When trying to boot, I received the blue screen of death with its accompanying reboot. I then performed a repair install of Windows XP Home using the original product key. Now the computer boots to the welcome screen without the BSD but upon clicking the username, I get an error that states, “This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?” I click Yes and momentarily see the desktop picture but then am taken back to the welcome screen.

I need to know how to get the activation screens up or how to get logged in. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Update. I have found that I can get into Windows if I boot into Safe-Mode WITHOUT network support. However, Safe-Mode will not allow me to bring up the activation wizard even for phone activation. How does one activate Windows in Safe-Mode?

If you boot into safe mode and click Start> Run> and then paste this into the run box oobe/msoobe /a will the Wizard come up?

Joey
A+, Network +, MCP

That did not work. It tried but just came up with the error "You cannot activate Windows in Safe-Mode. Please restart in your computer in Normal mode and activate.

Can you log in as another user? You may have to edit policy first. Let windows find all the hardware changes. After that has been done, do the activation. I believe it's still 30 days to activate.

I tried creating a new user but it did not help. I even went into the network devices and disabled all of them thinking that since it booted into Safe-Mode without network support, that it might work. It didn't.

I then performed a repair install of Windows XP Home using the original product key".

Did you use his XP CD too? Is this a Laptop or Desktop? Is his CD version specific to his hardware and required drivers (OEM for example)?

Can you run ChkDsk /r either from the GUI in Safe Mode, or the Recovery Console?

I assume you are doing this without a network cable. I'd remove or disable the nic because that is a big count towards the magic windows number. Also remove as many no longer needed hardware

I did not use the customers CD although it is a whitebox and the orginal was a standard CD so it should have been the same.

I orginally had a network cable plugged in but the driver was not installed. I did try disabling all devices on the motherboard (sound, network, etc.) and removing the modem but still no change.

Can you check out the Event Viewer from Safe Mode?

To check your RAM.

To check your Hard Drive.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to check your drive for problems.

You can also load the Recovery Console and run ChkDsk /r to check for problems.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

To check your drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Will check your computer for spyware and adware.

I can't get to Event Viewer. The hard drive and memory test ok according to some DOS bootable stuff I have. I can not run most Windows programs since I can not log in Normal mode.

I have decided to go ahead and do a clean install (Argg). I really appreciate all the assistance with this issue.

Have you tried

Insert Windows XP CD into CD-Rom
Click Start > Click Run > and type
D:\I386\WINNT32 /unattend
And click OK and follow installation steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back