Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Home Version Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kburrill

Programmer
Feb 20, 2002
US
I just added a windows XP home version computer to our network. It logs into the windows nt server okay, it opens files off the windows nt server okay, but it keeps giving errors when trying to copy files from or to the XP computer.

One error is "cannot copy (file): the I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request." (from the windows xp computer)

The error on the windows nt computer is "cannot copy (file): an unexpected network error occurred."

Any help would be appreciated.

Questions. Do you have the folders or c drive shared? In the properties of your network device under advanced do you have the box checked to let others on the network access your computer. Also you might activate the guest account. Make sure the folers are not read only.

Thanks for the help. I checked the sharing / access to the computer - the folders were shared and were not read-only.

I tried enabling the WINS resolution and added our nt server's ip address to the list. After this, the copying worked. I hadn't done this the first time because it isn't enabled on our windows 95 and 98 computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back