Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Home is not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

123gad

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2001
US
I have a Sony VAIO, O/S XP Home Edition, 1.6 GHZ Processor, 512 MB RAM.
The PC is booting up very slowly, it comes eventually to the desktop. But once it is on the desktop I can't do anything, the mouse is moving but nothing happens.

Any ideas, I'm not familiar with XP, and I don't have a boot disk.
How can I start in Safe Mode?
Any other ideas what I can try?

Thanks

Hi, did you recently install any new programmes? Why not try system restore in accesories, tools and restore your computer back to an earlier date when you know it was working ok? Also, run an anti-virus check, you can download AVG from grisoft.com if you need an anti-virus programme. Also check to see if you have spyware, you can download spybot from zdnet.co.uk and run it to check for spyware which might be affecting your computer. Do you have a firewall, if not you can get pretty good firewalls free such as zonealarm or Agnitum's outpost from zdnet?

good luck

Hi, thanks for the quick response, the problem is once my desktop is up I can't do anything.
Do you know how to start XP in Safe Mode?
May that work.

Thanks, again

SOrry forgot to answer your questions, no I did not installed anything new. I use Norton Antivirus with Firewall. My Virus Program is up to date.

Safe mode can be entered by tapping the F8 function key at the end of the BIOS screen display prior to Windows starting.

If it seems too fast for you to catch, you can Start, Run, msconfig, and click SAFEBOOT under the second tab, Startup Options. Remember to turn this off on a later boot.

There are many, many things that could cause this situation. If you could download Microsoft's Bootvis.exe program and run it on the troubled machine, select Trace, and let it reboot it will give you some idea what area: hardware, drivers, etc. is taking all the time. You could also try optomizing the startup with the selection on the Trace option.

As a guess, it is something like Outlook Express, or Messenger having problems finding the Internet.

do you have a cd burner, with any adaptec software installed?

I do have a CD Burner, but no adaptec software, I think the software is from SOny but I'm not sure, it's definitly not adaptec. Also just to mention it, the PC is a standalone, no network, I do have a cable modem attached for Internet Access.

I also have a question for bcastner or anyone else who knows
the bootvis.exe, how do you use this program? Specially in case I can't do anything, do I boot with this disk, etc.

Thank you very much for your help.

You boot normally and run bootvis just like any other program. (You could install it directly to your desktop).

Select Trace, and then Analyze.

After rebooting it will show you the results.

Then do Trace, Optomize and let it do a reboot cycle and defragmentation of the boot files.

I will try this tonight, but as it is right now, once I'm on my desktop I can't open anything do nothing, any suggestion, how I can run the bootvis.exe.

Or what I can do if nothing is opening
Thanks I will keep you posted about the outcome

What we need to know is whether you can get into Safe Mode.

If you can you may have success in using System Restore to go back to a point before the problem.

You might even have some luck if you load the "Last Known Good Configuration" option.

Maybe you can run Chkdsk from Safe Mode.
Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

If no Safe Mode, you can try the Recovery Console.
HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

Try running Chkdsk from there.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I can not use the recovery console, because it is on the Windows XP CD, which I don't have, Sony only gives you Recovery CD's, and I can't afford to loose all my files.
I cannot get into safemode, last configuration is not working. It does not even get to the desktop anymore.
Frustration is big, any ideas ???
Thanks

Does your recovery CD have any other options apart from Format and re-install. Is there a non-destructive re-install? What do your OEM Support advise.

You can look at some Recovery Programs for your data, but you may need a second partition to save them to. You might be able to save to CD or Floppy (not sure on that).

If the data is vital may be trying your drive in another machine is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back