Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP HOME Internet Access and Safe Mode 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubees

Programmer
Aug 6, 2003
US
Hello all,

I am in deep trouble. I know I have trojan/viruses in my pC. But, I am not able to run any online Virus Scans. I tried Trend Micro, McAfee etc. I recently upgraded Windows Xp Home to SP2 and it used pop up blocker and I am not able to download ActiveX controls. I tried different ways, but just that I could not run the scan.

When I googled for the fix I found that one needs to log in as Administrator. But As I am using Windows XP Home Edition I can login as Administrator only in Safe Mode.
So , I tried to run the scan from Safe MOde but I am not able to access the internet.

Is there any work around for my problem?
1. How to login as Administrator in Windows XP in Normal Mode
2. How to access INternet in Safe Mode
3. How to let the PC install ActiveX controls
4. Is there any Free online scan with out using ActiveX controls?

Answer to any/all of the questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Nubee

1) you can logon as administrator only if you know the password for an administroator, or someone with admin privilages.
2) not sure you can, the drivers aren't loaded.
3) there's a option in IE to let you allow activX
4) I don't use online ones, I download free stuff like AVG or Grisoft

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Thanks Crowley16 for your valuable suggstions.

There is no password associated with Administrator Account. This is my personal PC I use at Home. It is not network enabled. There is only 1 account. User account which uses Password. But, to my knowledge I didnot assign any password for Admninistrator acocunt. If I Login using Administrator Account in Safe MOde, I dont type any password.

But, In Normal Mode I dont see Administrator Account displayed in the Welcome Screen.

Please advise,
thanks,
nubee

nubees,

When you get to the welcome screen in XP Home press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice, this should bring up a login box where you can type in the Administrator username and password.

You can access the internet from safe mode but only if you use a cable or DSL service that connects via a network connection. If it is dial up then you are out of luck I believe.

This page shows you how to install ActiveX now that you have SP2 installed
If it doesn't work it is likely due to the malware you have on your system.

As far as I know all online virus scanners require the use of activex components.

If you can access the internet using your PC in normal mode then download a good free AV scanner such as Avast or AVG, MS Antispyware, Adaware & Spybot. Update them all to the latest deffinitions and then restart your PC in Safemode. Run full scans on all of them, restart into safe mode and run the scans again.

There is some general advice and links for the software mentioned above here -
Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Thanks gpalmer711,

I am using DSL connection not dialup. I also tried accessing Safe Mode with Networking (although there is not network . its the only pC in my house) with out any luck.

Is there any thing else I should do as long as accessing Internet in Safe Mode goes.

I read thru the docuemnt that has instructions on how to use the information bar .. When I click to Install ActiveX componet. A pop up opens with Run and Cancel. When I click Run.. Nothing happens. There is no sign of installation...May be malware is obstructing it.

The other link of palmersoft that you sent seems to have lot of information. I will try to use that as a guide and let you know how it went.

Thanks a lot for your help

On your DSL connection do you need to physically tell the computer to connect to the internet each time you start your PC, or are you just always connected?

If it the former then you will likely be out of luck as this uses dial up technologies that are disabled in safemode.

Greg Palmer

well.. I am not sure about this one..

I have SBC DSL. When I restart my PC. If I click Internet Explorer short cut. I can open my Homepage with out any connection.
But, If I click SBC DSL shortcut, It prompts me to click connect button although I am already browsing happily with Internet Explorer at the same time.

I am kind of confused on how to answer your question based on this.

I'd guess that it needs the Dial Up software to connect in that case. As far as I know there is no way of doing this in safe mode.

however if you follow the advice given above it should sort your out.

gpalmer711 said:
If you can access the internet using your PC in normal mode then download a good free AV scanner such as Avast or AVG, MS Antispyware, Adaware & Spybot. Update them all to the latest deffinitions and then restart your PC in Safemode. Run full scans on all of them, restart into safe mode and run the scans again.

Greg Palmer

Thanks so much. I will do that.

dont forget standalone malware removal tools (although limited in detections):

Also, if possible, you might be able to remove your hard drive and take it to another internet-enabled machine, install it as a secondary drive (where the cdrom drive is connected, for example) to do the online scans from that computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back