Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp(home) can't "see" network connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachenhunter

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
US
I do tech support for an internet service provider and I have a customer with a "unique" problem.

The computer does not see the network connections folder, every time I try to access it it freezes the program, like if I go in through the start menu and click on connect to it will freeze the start menu. if I go in through control panel same thing happens. I thought that maybe it was a virus and ran swatit and found nothing, but then all of a sudden I was able to access network connections like the problem was fixed. I shut down the laptop and started it back up and again the thing could not "see" the network connections. I don't really understand what is going on. Thanks in advance for any advice or info you can give me.

Cody

no. it just sits there. then if I end task it then he gets "the program is not reponding"

Does Task Manager indicate what process is using all the CPU during this freeze?

Have you tried just disabling any Anti Virus software he is running to see if this is a problem?

Has Tweakui or similar been used on Network Connections?

task manager says nothing is running, under proccesses there is a ton of stuff running but nothing takeing up more than 1% cpu.
It's a sony vaio laptop by the way.

He had pcchillin virus scanner which caused a problem with him recieving mail when it(pcchillin) expired which is why he brought his computer to me in the first place.

also after it boots up and doesn't recognize the network connections it doesn't shut down properly and I have to shut down the power for it to turn off. but when it recognizes the network connections it shuts down just fine.

I am of the firm belief that he has a corruption in the operating system and that this problem would of happened whether or not he brought his laptop to my office for me to fix his settings. I'm going to try(again) with the system restore. I'll set it back like a week or something. hopefully this time it will work.

no the guy says he never installed sp1 and I don't show anything about remote access in the event viewer...the system restore didn't work...the computer wouldn't shut down. when I shut it down it came up with some of the icons I made missing and still wouldn't detect the network connections.
I undid the system restore and the computer shut down just fine and came up with the network connections, I connected, sent a test e-mail and disconnected. I thought it was fixed. I shut down, turned it back on and same damn problem....ERGG!!(lol) anyother ideas?

Hey Cody.
A few things to try:
[red]1.[/red] Does the Laptop (LT) connect using an on board or credit card type network card?
[red]Ans:[/red] If either, try removing the network adapter from the Harware device manager through Control panel or My Computer icon on desktop.
[red]2.[/red] Once you have removed the adapter(s) follow this process to re-image the TCP/IP stack.
[red]Ans:[/red] START | RUN | type CMD | from the command prompt make note of the DIR at DOS prompt | type NETSH IP RESET RESETLOG.TXT | it will flicker with loads of cmd's and the TXT file will be saved at the above DIR eg C:\documents and settings\my docs\resetlog.txt | type EXIT to exit netsh | then type EXIT to exit DOS prompt.
[red]3.[/red] Shut down the system and restart after a few minutes and XP should automatically re-install the adapter(s) and their drivers and TCP/IP will be as new as when it was first installed.
[red]4.[/red] After the adapter(s) have been installed warm reboot and this should be all you need to do.

If you have a credit card networking card shut down LT, remove eth card and warm boot LT, Shut down LT after completed startup, insert eth card and reboot, system will find hardware and reinstall adapters and drivers for card.

FINALLY:Run the network connection wizard for eth connection and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back