Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP (home and prof'l) compatibility problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamishjones

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
I have PGP Personal Privacy 6.5.8, which I downloaded as an upgrade from an earlier version of PGP that came with McAfee Utilities (or system suite). This version of PGP includes both the key management program and PGPdisk, which creates encrypted partitions on the hard drive. Though I barely used PGP with my late Windows 98 computer, I would like to use it with my new Windows XP Prof'l laptop.

I have been able to install PGP 6.5.8 on the notebook computer (and also on a new Windows XP desktop), and have even been able to create an encrypted disk partition. BUT the program always bombs when I try to open the encrypted partition. I've tried every possible permutation under XP's Program Compatibility Wizard, but still can't get the program to work. Does anyone have a work-around?

If you just want to encrypt files/folders, XP already has that feature provided the drive is partitioned with NTFS.

1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click the file or folder that you want to encrypt, and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab, click Advanced.
4. Select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back