Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP hangs while booting, at the [ Applying computer settings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wish01

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
US
I manage a Windows 2003 domain with about 200 machines.
Recently, a few Windows XP machines hang while booting, at the [Applying computer settings... ] message box. Any time between 4 and 7 minutes before the desktop shows up.
I have done an extensive research and trying different suggestions but not luck.
Please, I need help.
Thank you in advance.
George

Have you checked the event logs first of all? Nothing there?

Have you checked the services and seen if any of them are haning at the "Starting" phase which would make the login time take forever?

Wow, stupid spellcheck. Since when is "haning" a word?

I meant hanging if it wasnt obvious enough.

Maxthedork:
no, we don't use roaming profiles.

captaincrunch00:
I checked Event Viewer- Application and I found the following two errors:
Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1005
User: NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM
1-Windows cannot connect to abc.com domain. (Server Down). Group Policy processing aborted.
2-Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy Objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by policy engine.

Where abc.com is the "default–first-site-name"
I am currently in a sub domain. IE. my_domain.abc.com
I think this might have something to do, but I don’t know where to go from here.
Note: I can contact the domain controller through DNS going to Start-Run and typing \\abc.com\sysvol\abc.com
Thank you

I don’t have any security programs that can interfere between these machines and the domain.
Further more, I can access any resource without delay.
Any more ideas?
Please.
Thank you.
George

Slow Logon to Windows 2000 Domains
faq779-4017

XP Pro Slow looking on network
thread779-946151

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor