Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIndows XP Hangs when accessing drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

Vendor
Nov 26, 2003
US
I am running Windows XP - full updates.
I have two WD harddrives (one 80 & one 20GB)a cd-rom, cd-rw & DVD burner, portable 40GB harddrive and a digital camera (USB connection)

Anytime I access the the 20GB (secondary harddrive), access the drve for the camera or the portable hardrive, the computers starts hanging up until I reboot.

Twice now after rebooting, I get an error saying that no boot device is found.

I have also found that at least once the secondary drive disappeared from the "My Computer" list...I rebooted and it came back.

A have done a virus scan and found nothing.

ANY IDEAS! I am cllueless on this one.

try getting newer, or perhaps older motherboard drivers from your vendor. I had a similar problem when i installed Super ATA drivers by VIA, my disk drives would sometimes not appear when windows started, and access was sometimes accompanied by long delays, like the hanging you are describing.

However, if you are getting problems before windows even starts, then perhaps you have a physical problem, ie insufficient power supply, faulty ide device, faulty ide cable, faulty motherboard.

Is there a good way to check and see if it is the motherboard before purchasing a new one?

Try asking your original question in the Microsoft: Windows XP Pro Forum (no matter what XP edition you have) before committing to a new motherboard. The audience there may have a few ideas for you to try.

I have a similar problem and reckon the problem is due to overheating. Investing in a PCI fan has helped a lot, though I find I need to regularly clean the components with an air duster. My hangs are now few and far between.

Thanks for the help guys. I have two fans on the system. I finally opened the computer up and there is waaaay to much dust in it. I am cleaning it out tonight to see what happens. Plus the system runs pretty much 24/7 so I am hoping that is all it is.

I'll keep you posted.

Microsoft has a new patch for this issue, which affects NTFS-formatted drives. Run Windows Update.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Do you have a link to the knowledge base article concerning this?

I asked becuase I updated Windows two day ago....Just wanted to read what the article said. I searched Knowledge Base but could not find the article.

Thanks

I am bang up to date on updates but still have the problem but as I said, since I have been using an air duster to blast away dust (and I guess cool components!) on a fortnightly basis, the freezes are few and far between. I am confident heat and dust are to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back