Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Group Policy vs. Zenworks 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am trying to aply Policies on logon to every user. I know from the Novel-Knowlege Base, Securety-Policies are not supportet by Zen 3.2.
Now I need a workaround to restrict User-permissions on a Machine (eg. I-Explorer > 'Internet options'),
because I am able to edit the GP with Zen32 (properties > W2000 GP > edit) and they where saved in the DB, but the policies are not loaded during User-Login.
Another Problem is, that there are no tools shiped with winXP which are capable of editing and EXPORTING GroupPolicies, and later on aplying them to a workstation with some commandline tool (I mean real Tools, not the Notepad).

mfg Alexander M.

AceAl,

I have rolled this out to a large international client and can state that all components barring the extensible policies and security policies are fully functional. XP imaging is not officially supported, but I have not had a problem with it.

To answer your question, basically, the XP Group policies were used to restrict the user rights. These were simply exported to the server(s) and were configured through ConsoleOne. You should not have any problems with this. Basically, don't use the W2K policies, export the XP ones.

Zen Ad maora ultra vitam

I am looking for a way to edit windows group policies. I would like to change the drives restrictions to include network drives in the list. As is only combinations of A - E are available for restricting.

Just go into the policy package, select windows group policy (properties) and then click on edit. All pops up infront of you and then edit to your hearts content.

Zen Ad maora ultra vitam

I am having a problem getting the workstation policy to enforce on an XP box. I set up the policy from an XP machine and it went into the group policy form nicely but after I save and try to have it push out the changes they are not taking on another XP box.

ZenWorks 3.2 SP1
NetWare 5.0 SP6A
Client 4.8.3 SP1
WinXP SP1

Slink,

Ensure that teh workstation is registerred and that the policy is in effect on the workstations container. Also ensure that the group policies being used are the exported XP ones.

Check the GP*.txt files at the root of C:\drive for errors.

Zen Ad maora ultra vitam

Thanks Zenw!

Turns out that we had to use a UNC path on the workstation and user objects to get the policy to work otherwise we kept getting 1085 errors in the Event Viewer on the workstation.

Glad that you sorted it out.

Have a great Christmas

Zen Ad maora ultra vitam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back