Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP / Formatting the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juleswc

Technical User
Jan 6, 2004
GB
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has big problems with her hard drive, and has decided to have the system formatted and start from scratch.
I said I'll format the drive for her, but I'm a little unsure regarding the licensing issues of Windows XP Pro.
She has the full licensed version of Windows XP Pro with product code.

If I format the drive and reinstall Windows XP Pro, I believe it will come up and say this product is already registered. How do I get around this? (she still has the receipt etc)

Thanks

it is not an issue as pro does not need to be activated just reinstall and you will be ok.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Just out of interest, what would I do if it wasn't Win XP Pro, just normal XP? which is what I have.

Only volume licens xp pro is pre activated. if it is not a volume license you will be prompted to activate. you will need to back up the,,,,,,,wpa files,in sys32 folder, there are 2, don't remember the file ext. anyway back those up and after you install the new copy, reboot in safe mode and copy those two files back in the sys 32 folder. Oem and retails have to be activated and the keys are not interchangeable (home key wont work with pro, oem wont work with retail)

Superb, Thanks for that.

Jules

this only works if it is the same machine, you can't use the wpa files from another comp to activate another, just a little more food for thought

If you have a purchased Retail Version of XP just follow the normal procedure of installing the operating system.

After you have installed it you will be asked to Activate it online. There will be no problems and it is just routine. People are always reformatting and clean installing XP for various reasons. The only time they might have problems with a second, third or fourth activation is when the hardware of the machine has changed considerably between activations due to many new pieces of equipment, and even then this can be sorted out over the phone, usually.

Don't confuse Activation (required) with Registration (not required). You can forget about registering with Microsoft a second time.

What you are doing is a normal and painless everyday routine procedure as far as Activation is concerned.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

Frequently Asked Questions about Microsoft Product Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back