Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows XP: forgot user password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwark

ISP
Sep 28, 2001
US
Hi, does anyone know how to bypass the windows XP login, if u forget the password? Is there any secret or emergency password?

Thanks.

You can try to logon as Administrator. At the friendly logon screen CTRL+ALT+DEL twice. You will get the traditinal NT logon screen. If you installed the system yourself you have to remember the password you supplied if it was an OEM install it may be blank, try it. Otherwise you are out of luck and will have to reinstall.
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

I am not very familiar with XP but is there a password jumper to reset the password? :cool:

NO. Jumpers reset BIOS passwords.
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Have a look at Password Recovery and Password Hint in Help and Support. It maybe too late for you but you wont get caught a second time. Also when I took my machine to dealer for repairs they reckoned they had a disk to get into machine despite any passwords that were set. I don't remember if they were talking about bios or login passwords. Just a thought.

I have read that a linux boot disk will get you into the file sytem if you are using NTFS and allow you to change the administrator password. Have not tried this myself but a boot disc image may be downloaded at

Is the machine on a network? If so you could connect to the local users and groups and create a new account and make it a local administrator. This would get you onto the PC and give you access to the local accounts so you can reset the forgotten password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back