Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP. EXE's trying to access the A:

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutta

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
GB
Hi,

I got an unusual problem, i was hopeing one of you guys have come across it before.

When i log into my windows XP laptop, when hotsynch runs, it trys to access the A:. I dont know why it is doing this. If i cancel, it keeps comming up. IE if i launch outlook. But doesnt do it with explorer.

So i am well confused.

TIA

NUTTA

Synching the palm works fine, with outlook. NP what so ever.

ie. Even if i uninstall all the palm related stuff, and rip it out of the registery. If i run anything, or open any folders, it tries to access teh a:. v v v v annoying.

it looks like rebuild. But i, rather see if it can be sorted first. than choosing the lamer option.

What is "it"? Is "it" the only "it" or are there lots of other "its"? Are you having a problem with only one program that being hotsync or are you having a problem with other programs too?

Use Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Classes \ Exefile \ Shell \ Open \ Command. Check that the value in there is "%1" %* (exactly as shown). Replace it with "%1" %* if different. You should only have to do this if your EXEs have stopped launching properly.

i checked that linney. It was exactly like you said. i have noticed that this problem is only happeneing to the first files that are executed. hotsynch used to launch first. I have reprioritised the files, so that zonealarm is being used first.

It now does this with zonealarm. Couple of times then stops. Till you log off and log back on.

its an unusual one. i do have a virus checker loaded on that machine. Hence why it makes it a bit confusing.

See if there is any help in this lot. Most of these refer to Windows 98 but they may give you some ideas.

Floppy Disk Drive Is Active When Opening or Saving Files [Q216752]

Floppy Drive Is Accessed When You Open My Computer [Q272242]

If nothing here helps you, you could try deleting the files in the Windows PreFetch folder.

Windows will recreate them as you load programs. Also it would be a good idea to clean out your Temp folder located your Local Settings folder of your user details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back