Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows xp error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtown33

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
When one of my user booted up this morning he recieved the following error. "C0000221-unknown hard error systemroot/system32 ntdll.dll" What is this error about?

Sounds like a chip of memory went bad. Or possibly the hard drive might be going bad. If the error is slightly different from one boot to the next, I'd say the memory. It may even just be a corrupted file.

It sounds like the file ntdll.dll has become corrupted. You'll need to get to the Recovery Console (I'm assuming you're running either XP or 2000 Pro) and try to rename the file or try copying the file from c:\windows\driver cache\i386. Also, you can run sfc /scannow via the Recovery Console (once you're in the Recovery Console you'll be prompted for a password to the administrator account...if you don't remember giving it one, just hit enter). Running chkdsk wouldn't hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back