Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP doesn't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kara3334

Instructor
Oct 23, 2003
Hi,

My client has a laptop with Windows XP. When she turns it on, it doesn't start up. The startup screen (which says "Windows XP", runs for several minutes. Then the "Sony" splash screen flashes on for a few seconds. Then the screen goes back to the "Windows XP" startup screen. And nothing happens. The desktop never appears. What could be the cause of this, and how can it be fixed?

Thanks.

Have you or your client installed any new drivers on the laptop recently?

That is an excellent question, and one I should know to think of. If a recently installed driver is causing the problem, how do I remove it if the computer won't boot up?

Restart the machine in safe mode(or last known good configuration) by pressing F8 or F12 before the boot screen.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

If no luck via Safe Mode, try these.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

The Windows Recovery console is designed to help you recover when your Windows-Based computer does not start properly or does not start at all. If Safe mode and other startup options do not work, you can consider using the Recovery Console. This method is recommended only if you are an advanced user who can use basic commands to identify and locate problem drivers and files. In addition, you must be an administrator to use the Recovery Console.

Disable (Command).

Disables a Windows system service or driver. The variable service _or_ driver is the name of the service or driver that you want to disable. When you use this command to disable a service, it displays the service's original startup type before changing the type to SERVICE_DISABLED. You should note the original startup type so that you can use the enable command to restart the service.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

Click on Tutorial then the Charlie White article on XP crash.
This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Sounds like it could be a video driver issue, you could try booting into VGA mode. Just before the Windows XP screen appears press F8 until the menu appears. Then select VGA mode. This will default the video to compatibility mode. You can then install a new driver or reinstall if need be. Does the computer sound like it started up just the screen is black?

John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

You could try booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and use the System Restore utility to roll back the computer to an earlier time.

Boot to Safe Mode-Command prompt and type:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and then hit Enter

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back