Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP does not recognize HP Laserjet 4P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunwindandsea

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
US
I have a Gateway 1.8 GHz PC with 768 MB of RAM running Windows XP Professional and an HP LaserJet 4P. Windows XP does not recognize the HP LaserJet 4P on LPT1. I also have been HP DeskJet 970Cse connected using a USB port to this PC. I have tried the many scenarios the two that best illustrates the problem are described below

I deleted all printer drivers and all existing printers. It turned off the PC and turned off the printer. I rebooted with neither printer connected to the PC. I shut down to the PC again. I connected the HP LaserJet 4 P. 2 LPT1 on the PC and turned on my system. Windows XP did not recognize the hardware change.

I reinstalled Windows XP.

I have not turned on System Restore and it would not help since the PC running Windows XP has never recognized the HP LaserJet 4 P.

Thank you for any help.
SunWindSea

PS: I have also tried removing the drivers in File, Server Properties, Drivers. XP still does not recognize LPT1.

The file is sent to correct print que and the Message "Error - Printing."

Yes, I have tried "Auto" and "Enable" in the BIOS. No luck.

Have you checked the HP website for updated XP drivers? BeckahC
X-)

Beckah (Pretty name) I used the drivers that were included with Windows XP. Yes, I checked and HP does not offer Windows XP drivers for the HP LaserJet 4 series.

Thank you for your reply.

Sun Wind and Sea

I had a similar problem back when I upgraded my home pc to 2K pro - I had the only scanner that doesn't have a driver for 2K made by HP. I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help. BeckahC
X-)

I don't know if you have tried this, BUT, the 4P may not be plug and play.

Have you tried adding the printer manually?

I know that the 4 is not plug and play. I have added Laser Jet 4s, 4+, and 4Vs manually and they have all worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back