Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows XP crash when try to burn cd 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lglenny99

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
US
i am using my sony cd-rw burner i am trying to use such programs as nero, fireburner, diskjuggler. when it goes to begin burning the whole pc freezes up. i have read many things o aspi and i have installed the nessasry dlls as advised by someones whos burner works...any advice would be great

I'm from Ahead Software AG. Last Nero 5.5.4.0 runs fine under XP execpt of the fast user switching feature of XP.

Are you sure the problem is comming from XP and not from the PC itself ?

This is a problem of ide bus driver.
At the ide bus where cdrw is instaled xp use multi-word mode. Change it to pio mode and your cdr must works fine.

MEREDOTH..Could you please explain further how to change to pio mode, I'm using a Hewlett Packard 7200 series cdrw. The adaptec software that came with the drive can't find a suitable bus and nero freezes while scanning. I can read from the drive o.k... Everything works fine with '98.
Thanks.

First screw adaptec software try nero much more stable with xp.
The way to change mutli-word to pio mode is ...
go to system properties/ hardware/ device manager/ IDE ATA-ATAPI CONTROLER and at your primary or secondary chanel change the transfer mode of the device which represent your cdrw to pio

Notice that this feature will be only avaible if supported by the drive and unfortunately some of them does not support it. David Burg,
Ahead Software AG

Some folks have discovered the the Windows XP Hotfix (SP1) Q309961 update intended to fix cd-burner problems may actually cause them. Some folks found that by uninstalling it in the add/remove programs, then uninstalling the CD driver, then restarting fixes the problem. For me this didn't work but after I reinstalled the Hotfix the CD burned just fine.
Also check that the IMAPI.EXE is turned on in the SERVICES of the Admintrative Tools.
Go figure.
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back