Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP computer shuts itself down automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

yargkcin

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2005
US
I have a windows XP SP2 computer that runs fine as long as you are in idol. As soon as you start to do anything on it (search internet, copy files, ext) the pc just shuts its self down. I have reloaded the OS, took the doors off of the box and placed a fan blowing into the system. No luck….Any ideas what the issue could be?

Have you tried a different power supply. i had the same kind of problem a while back and it turned out to be a power supply.

I did put a different power supply in but it was a used unit. I can try another, I thought that the chance of having two bad power supplies would be low. Thanks for the tip I will try that…

yargkcin

put in a xp startup disk and run fdisk /mbr.
You might have a virus on the MBR on that box.
I had this and after trying all other things i finaly got the briliant idea to do this and it worked after that.

Lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back