Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Command Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

BladeBoy

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
CA
I am running an application in the Windows XP command prompt. If this application crashes, the command prompt window closes automatically thus I cannot read what errors, if any came up.

Is there a way to disable the command prompt from closing automatically when the application running in it stops or shutsdown?

You can "pipe/redirect output" the command prompt to a file. Maybe this will help.
">" to create or ">>" to append.
This will place the output in a file and maybe you can read it after you boot again.

You can "pipe/redirect output" the command prompt to a file. Maybe this will help.
">" to create or ">>" to append.
This will place the output in a file.
such as

"command" > "filename"

Hey thanks for the tip. I would have NEVER thought of that! I will give it a try!

Thanks

If you make a shortcut to the program at the desktop, you can right-click on it, select Properties, Program and uncheck Close on exit.

Also, if you open a Command Prompt window (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt)rather than clicking "run" and typing your connamd in that box, the command window won't automatically close after the app finishes...or errors out.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back