Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP can't make internet connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

state

Technical User
Apr 26, 2000
US
Before I begin I want to first thank everyone for helping me with this issue. My problem is that when I click on create a new connection, I select connect to the internet, set up my connection manually, and here is where the problem begins. I want to select connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password, but it's grayed out. I've tried everything including reinstalling Windows XP and nothing works. Please help.

Hi state;

First, I want to ask, are there any other grayed out areas, at this point in the connection wizard?

What I am thinking is, that maybe, it doesn't recognize your Network card as being installed or the drivers to your network card. Is there a network card installed? Are the drivers updated? Are there any errors listed in the device manager for your network card?

Hope this helps. I know it's not much, but all I can think of, since you did a re-install of Windows and still experiencing the problem.

NaerokD

Thank you for your quick responses. I have already re-installed Win XP with SP1 with no luck. Another selection is also grayed out "Connect using a dial-up modem

Four other items to check:

1. Q281625 - Make New Connection Wizard Selections Are Unavailable and Other Issues Occur with the Network Connections Folder

2. Some Network and Dial-Up Connections Icons May Be Missing

3. 269019 - "Network and Dial-up Connections" Folder Icons Missing

4. 329050 - Troubleshooting Missing Network and Dial-Up Connections Icons

bcastner,

The problem isn't that the ICONS don't show up or missing. I can't create crate a new connection, thus no new icons.

I think you may have too quickly dismissed the advice above:

. Is the plug and play service running? (Start, Administrative Tools, Services)

. Did you re-register critical .DLLs?

Start, Run, cmd

regsvr32 netshell.dll
regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 netman.dll

Forgive my haste. I checked the plug and play service and it is running (started/automatic). I tried to stop and restart it and got an error saying that it can't be stopped. I re-registered the dll's and they all succeded. When I went back to the plug and play service, the buttons to stop it are now grayed out. I really don't want to format my disk and start over. Any suggestion?

NaerokD,

A belated welcome to tek-tips.

Thank you for the link above, and your interest in trying a resolution short of a reinstall. I am chagrined that I did not include your link. A Star for you sir for fighting the good fight, and excellent advice.

I hope it sorts the issue for member state. I suspect a repair reinstallation is likely his best course if your link does not sort the issue.

But, welcome to Tek-tips. And a well deserved star.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back