Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows XP Blocking Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

manharris

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
CA
I recently purchased XP and ran the system compatibility check. Below, I have pasted what it came up with. I run an intel pentium 3B processor @600mhz on a BE6-II motherboard with 256 megs of ram and 40 gig harddrive. Is anyone familiar with this Blocking issue and how to get around it?
Is it worth upgrading to XP?
BLOCKING ISSUES
===============
Setup found some issues that will prevent you from upgrading your
Windows installation. You must fix all of these issues before you can
upgrade to Windows XP.

Unsupported Hardware Configuration
----------------------------------
Your computer has hardware devices that prohibit you from upgrading
to Windows XP.

Highpoint HPT366 Ultra DMA Controller

Did you try installing the driver from the diskette, after pressing F6 as Setup starts?

RAID and SCSI controllers can be tricky beasts! CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

I think that Microsoft should post a list of all hardware that 'prohibit you from upgrading to Windows XP'.
I would be reasonably p***ed off if I came home with XP and then got that message.
I was contemplating an upgrade from Win98, as I am growing more and more fed up with it, but I am certainly going to find out more about this blocking issue, as I have a mobo with the above mentioned raid controller.
Does anyone know; is this common with XP?

Kjell

I think what it is saying is that after you have upgraded the highpoint controller, "raid" won't work as this older
HPT366 chip isn't supported (ATA66?)
But if you are running a single 40gig hard drive then you won't necessarilly need raid? will you?
If you set the system up as with a non raid board, just don't use the 2 extra IDE sockets you have.
I know it's a bit of a bummer loosing your raid channels, but it should allow you to have XP?
Martin
Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

This is a known issue (although not yet known by Microsoft!);

Here's a couple of suggestions that I picked up;

Method 1.
Attach your hard disk to one of the regular IDE channels, then install Windows XP. Once installed, get hold of the latest HPT366 W2K drivers, install them, shut down and put your hard disk back on to one of the RAID channels and reboot.

Method 2.
The Abit beta driver for XP can be found at
drivers.zip

Note; They ARE Beta!

Apparently this does work, but the install may still complain about HPT 366 hardware, so go to Device Manager and delete the 2 SCSI HPT controllers. Don't re-boot. Now run install, and it should pass the previous "block".

After installation, leave the drives on the standard IDE channel until the following is complete;

Install the new beta HPT 336 drivers (link above) and re-boot. Check that all is ok.

Shutdown completely (Power off) and re-connect the drives to the HTP366 ATA66 connectors, with the 80way cable. If you have 2 drives, I would suggest a separate cable for each drive (i.e use both ATA 66 connectors) and have them both configured as Master devices. With 2 drives on one cable, XP has been known to fail to boot.

Alternative location for Beta drivers and a little more info;

And finally...

I think this addresses the WinXP vs hardware issue quite well;

I hope this helps you CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I will be able to mess around with my computer come the weekend and I'll post a meassage to say whether or I was able to fix the problem. I hope so. Isn't it really funny how I can install win 98 SE with no problems, yet a new problem free, advanced operating system can't.

Oh well... such is life in the life of computers...

manharris,

I have just encountered the same "blocking issue" problem LOL, and was wondering how successful you were with your circumvention and installation of XP. Since you didn't post back a response, I will assume that you still were not successful in your installation...

thanks,

Brian R. Tusler

I have an ABIT BP6 and had the same problem.
You have to download the latest Highpoint drivers, which can be found here:

Unzip them on a floppy. When the setup asks you to hit F6 for hard drive controllers, do so. It'll continue setting up the files it needs and then it'll go to a screen asking for your driver. Stick in your disk, and VIOLA.

Once XP has safely booted and the install process is over, go into your device manager and right click the "?"'s and tell XP they're Raid and SCSI controllers.. then point XP to your disk again.

You're done.

If you have a BP6, I suggest checking out this site:

Hi, sorry it's been awhile since my last thread but I have learned a valuble lesson. Don't mess with your computer while it is working. If it does what you need it to do then leave it. Unless you are absolutely bored and have lots of money to back you up then go right ahead. I tried to put XP on by changing the IDE cable to my regular one and running ATA 33 but in the process must of touched something because when I plugged the dam thing back in it fried everything.

OH WELL, lesson learned 2 weeks later and 1700 dollars later I have new computer that I will not mess with.

Oh by the way, my new computer came with XP and there are no advantages over 98SE that was worth the hassle.

Luke

I think the real lesson here is always ground yourself to the case before touching the internals on your PC (or use an ESD strap if you're paranoid).
I've been working on PCs for 15 years and I've never fried anything.
And take it from a guy that's got XP, if your system can handle it, throw 98 in the trash ASAP. Finally, a stable kernel from Microsoft.
TK
AScT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back