Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP and Wireless Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtorres

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
I have a 3COM Wireless Access Point located right outisde of a users office. They are configured with an Internal 3COM Wireless NIC. When they connect to the network wirelessly, the connection begings at 11mbps and then drops to 2mbps and then up to 6mbps and then back to 11mbps. When it drops near 2mbps, the connection seems to disconnect. The user then has to double click on the status icon located in the system tray and then reconnect.

What could be causing this. The AccessPoint it nearby so I wouldn't think interferance would be the cause here, but I may be wroung.

Any information would be apprecaited.

"D"

Check if you have the latest drivers, there were issues with the first ones. The solution is out there. [morning]

try changing the frequency/ channel it's running on. It may be on 3, change it to 11 or something.

Had the same problem. Channel 11 worked best for me. The lower channels created the drops in signal strength

Seems odd that the signal strength would be jumping up and down. It does on mine, but then I'm going about 500 feet through trees. I would check for something that might be causing interference nearby (such as another wireless device, microwave oven, etc.) As a control, try it with the two machines (access point and computer)right next to each other. Ultimately an extension for the NIC's antennal might be a solution.

I had some problems like this also, I found that I needed to change the channel to 11 there was a problem with the speed also I had to hard set it to 10 full instead of letting it auto negotiate

I have two 3COM AP's...I am assuming I can only set one to channel 11. If I recall, I think I have one on 11 and the other on 10. I will have to verify though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back